Sunday, September 27, 2015

Easy DIY Hair Lightener For Blondes

As blondes know, blonde hair dulls and darkens with age. You can hit the salon for highlights, which can be pricey and requires maintenance. You can use drugstore haircolor, which can be hit or miss (especially the highlighting kits, trust me on this). I really just wanted to brighten up my blonde.  I don't have the patience for maintenance anymore and I've had a few mishaps with the drugstore haircolor (fyi, brush on highlights are NOT as simple as just painting them on. NOT AT ALL). My solution is a commercial spray-in lightener that brightens my hair a shade. I only use it every three or four weeks and all I do is spray it on after shampooing, then I blow dry my hair. Easy peasy. But, I have baby-fine hair. Pathetically baby-fine hair. So pathetic that every hairdresser ever has commented on it. Apparently, no one else has hair as baby-fine as mine. Not even babies. So, as you can imagine it gets easily damaged. So I deep condition with coconut oil every time I use this stuff. Plus, it smells kinda weird. But it's cheaper and easier than highlights and much less risky than drugstore haircolor. 


As I was browsing through Pinterest as I occasionally do (occasionally being every day) I noticed a pin for a DIY Hair Lightener. I pinned it and promptly forgot about it. I found it again as I was searching for something else I had pinned. As I read it, I realized I already had everything I needed. And I also realized I had run out of the commercial stuff about a month ago. And it was cheaper than the commercial stuff I use. I decided it was time to try this. It has honey and olive oil in it, so it doesn't dry out my hair. And the lemon juice and cinnamon and chamomile make it smell delicious. I was almost tempted to try it. But I'm not a hot tea person. Now if it smelled like coffee...well, let's not go there.


All you need is more than likely in your kitchen right now. And a spray bottle, but if you don't have a spare one lying around, they're a dollar at the dollar store. All you need is:

1 chamomile tea bag
1 cup hot water
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/2 cup lemon juice (I used bottled lemon juice, but you could use fresh)

Put the tea bag in the hot water and let sit until it has cooled to room temperature. Using a funnel, pour into a spray bottle and add the rest of the ingredients and shake well. You will have to shake this up each time you use it, as it tends to separate.

Just spray on dry hair. You can spray it all over, just at the roots, just framing your face, however you want. Then you can either wait 60 minutes, sit in the sun for 30 minutes (but it smells so good it would probably attract bees and wasps), or if you're impatient like me and love that instant gratification, blow dry it. Then wash it. The olive oil and honey made my hair feel soft and conditioned, so I didn't need my coconut oil afterwards! I only use it every three to four weeks, whenever I need a little brightening.

This does not lighten your hair several shades, just one or two. My hair is a medium blonde and after I use this, my hair is noticeably brighter, but is nowhere close to Marilyn Monroe blond. So you're looking to go a lot lighter, you're going to be rather disappointed. I also would not recommend this for brunettes or redheads. Not being a professional hairdresser, I couldn't tell you what this would do to you. I'm afraid you'd get creepy, brassy highlights. And nobody looks good with those. NOBODY.

I guess I should add the disclaimer, "please do not try this if you are allergic to any of these ingredients." Although, seriously, I would think that's just common sense.


If you have blonde hair and it just needs a little refreshing, give this spray a try!

Until the next project, 
Chris :)

No comments:

Post a Comment